[ros-dev] Idea to save time in future - Language Support AndUse inReactos [non HTML - sorry for previous post]

Radovan Skolnik Radovan_Skolnik at tempest.sk
Sat Mar 12 16:07:56 CET 2005

What you're saying is true however let me bring forth few points:

1. MUI only works one some Windows versions - true. However it runs
basically on all Windows versions available today (Windows 98/Me is not
your target) and Windows XP Home Edition as we all know is binary
compatible with Windows XP so the limitation is only in version check.

2. You cannot get it free - true. But is this important? You cannog get
Windows for free as well and still you're trying to clone it (rather
succesfully).

3. Are you sure the API is not available? I believe it would be fairly easy
to reasearch it even if it wasn't.

4. "So I think reactos must support least 2 langues at fly." Why limit
yourself to 2 only? Why not 3 or 4?

5. "But why not deside which langues it will support when it compile." In
my opinion this is answered very easily:

  a. Because you do not want to create ReactOS for power-users who are keen
to compile stuff. If you need to compile it you'll scare newbies who just
want the simplicity of their old Windows for free.

  b. Because it contradicts your initial requirement: "If you look at Amiga
OS (Workbench 2.0 or higher) you can change the hole os langues when it was
running."

All in all: I think the M$ approach is really good one: scalable and easy
to use. If you don't want to clone the API for whatever reason, clone the
principle...

Best regards

   Radovan Skolnik

"Magnus Olsen" <magnus at itkonsult-olsen.com>
Sent by: ros-dev-bounces at reactos.com

12.03.2005 14:57

Please respond to ReactOS Development List

"ReactOS Development List" <ros-dev at reactos.com>

cc

bcc

Subject
Re: [ros-dev] Idea to save time in future - Language Support AndUse
inReactos

The MUI only work on some windows version and you can not geting it free.
or even the api. So I think reactos must support least 2 langues at fly.
But why not deside which langues it will support when it compile.
if you only want example english and french example you got it
or you want all langues. you got it instead. when reactos are beign compile
?

I have done a copy and paste from  ms site
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/MUIFaq.mspx#MUIques1
read it about it here.
What versions of Windows are supported by MUI?
MUI was introduced in the Windows 2000 timeframe and is available for:

a..  Windows 2000 Professional
b..  Windows 2000 Server Family - often implemented in a Terminal Services
environment
c..  Windows XP Professional
d..  Windows XP for Tablet PC
e..  Windows Server 2003 Family
f..  Windows XP Embedded
MUI is not supported on consumer versions of Windows such as Windows 9x,
Windows Me, and Windows XP Home Edition.

What are the system requirements of Windows MUI?
MUI is an add-on to the English version of Windows XP Professional and
Windows 2000 family of operating systems, and will not install on localized
versions of Windows XP/2000 or on Windows XP Home Edition. Every additional
language installed will require approximately 115 MB extra disk space for
Windows XP, 45MB for Windows 2000; East Asian language support requires an
additional 250 MB.

How can I acquire Windows MUI?
The Windows XP/2000 MUI is sold only through Volume Licensing programs such
as the Microsoft Open License Program (MOLP / Open), Select, and Enterprise
agreement (or with a new computer as an OEM version at customer request).
It
is not available through retail channels.