[ros-dev] Voting

Mike Nordell tamlin at algonet.se
Sat Mar 12 16:02:35 CET 2005

Casper Hornstrup wrote:

> http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/Voting

That seems to be enough to get us an ISO 9001 certification. :-)

I like it, so long as it's used with good judgement and that the issues
voted on are of enough serious kind to warrant a formal voting procedure
(i.e. a simple call for input/opinions shouldn't easily turn into a fomal
voting procedure).

I do however miss some parts. In no particular order:

- Are the votes to have only two alternative (e.g. yes/no), or are more
alternatives allowed?

- I'd like to see the explicit right to vote "none of the above" formalized.
This would display "I participate in the democratic process, but I
disagree/don't_agree_enough with all/any_of_the presented alternatives".

- If the person calling for the vote (hereafter A) does not collect and
present the results within a specified time (T), is the voting declared
invalid?

- If the voting is declared invalid after T, how large is T? (If not
declared invalid after T, how are people to know the results of the vote?)

- If A exceeds T without presenting the results, is A "punished" in some way
(e.g. not allowed to call for a vote for T2 time, and/or not allowed to vote
for T3 time)?

- If A is to be "punished" for such negliance, depending on the outcome of
the previous question how large is/are T2 and/or T3?

I think the following could be some starting points for discussions:

- Yes/no questions are fitting for children of the age 2-4.
- The right to vote "none of the above" is formalized.
- The voting is declared invalid if A does not present results after T.
- T = 3 days (72 hours). Extension can be allowed, but T shall not exceed 7
days in total. This means a voting procedure, from start to finish
(presented results) should take no more than 10 days, but with extension
allowed it can take as long as 14 days.
- A is punished if failing to meet T.
- T2 = 6 months.
- T3 = 3 months.

If votes other than the yes/no kind are allowed, what system should be used?
Majority of all voters? Majority of votes? 2/3:rds of some kind? Other?

/Mike