[ros-dev] Vote: Allow 3rd-party distribution of ROS through XDCC Bot.

WaxDragon waxdragon at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 20:23:16 CET 2005

Like anyone cares what I say. ;0)

   I would think that allowing 3rd parties to distribute relabeled and
possibly modified install CD's is a bad idea.  I can see the day when
someone joins #reactos and asks why ReactOS 1.0 just ate their hard
drive, and wants support.  Of course they don't mention it's FooBar
ReactOS 1.0, just ReactOS 1.0, and we are all confused since SVN is at
0.4.1.

   I don't think you should disallow redistribution, but not actively
support it, that is what sourceforge is for.

I guess that means I'm:

[X] Yes, allow 3rd-party distribution of the OS, but it must clearly
distance itself from officially supported releases (tolerate but do not
support this distribution)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:37:04 -0500, Alex Ionescu <ionucu at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Right now, someone has set up an XDCC IRC bot to distribute copies of
> ReactOS. While I welcome the move, it raises a question on who is
> responsible for the quality of those files. Even if the person means no
> harm, the files can get corrupted/infected by the following events:
>
>     1) Download corruption
>     2) Viral infection
>     3) Hard-disk damage
>
> And perhaps many more. In all cases, this would result in unusable,
> dangerous or even damaging releases of ReactOS, which we could not
> control. As such, I propose a vote:
>
> [ ] Yes, allow 3rd-party distribution of the OS through the #ros-xdcc
> channel and ROS-XDCC-001 bot. (support and encourage this distribution)
>
> [ ] Yes, allow 3rd-party distribution of the OS, but it must clearly
> distance itself from officially supported releases (tolerate but do not
> support this distribution)
>
> [ ] No, only sourceforge and other official ReactOS distribution points
> should be used.
>
> Myself I vote for the first choice, but I would like the following to be
> done:
>
>     1) Create MD5 Hashes to verify authenticity
>     2) Set up official communications with the bot's maintainer and
> establish a set of guidelines.
>
> Best regards,
> Alex Ionescu

The cheese stands alone.