[ros-dev] Re: [ros-diffs] [ion] 14047: Dispatching & Queue Rewrite II:

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 21:00:49 CET 2005

--- Alex IoIonescuioionucuivideotrona> wrote:
> This climate of paranoia is getting to my nerves.

You could at least try to be civil in your discussion. Some of us have spent more than a few years
on this project and have a right to be a little paranoid about if our lives work might be put in
to danger.

> As for Steven... WINE, ROS, and any other compatibility product out there is not 100% clean
> room. It has never been, will never be, cannot be. Especially if we consider debug information
> as being "dirty". Reminds me of people freaking out when I added functions that were in the IFS
> -- you'd hope people would've grown up by now--.

Still it depends on the source of the information. We have discussed in private my views on using
the debug information. I will publicly state I think the law is ambiguous at best and the debug
information should be a valid source given Microsoft position of being a monopoly as found by
Anti-trust proceedings. That being said a court might not agree with me so any behavior must be 1.
Reproduceable or 2. Documented.

> I could make a list of over 25 parts of ReactOS Which are not 100% clean. But I won't, because
> that would tarnish our image. I would appreciate if you'd stop tarnishing mine and making
> accusations.

I am not trying to trash your image. I am simply mentioning the truth that everyone already knows
but could be deadly to this project and others in a kangaroo court in the US. When your source of
information comes from documentation or a third part program exhibiting certain behavior then
there is not a legal question as to if a reimplementation is a original work. If you are basing
your implementation of a feature only on the debug information then clearly, at least in my mind
it runs the danger being found a derived work and everytime you do so it at the very least
tarnishes ReactOS's image.

Thanks
Steven