[ros-dev] serial driver bug

Hervé Poussineau poussine at freesurf.fr
Tue Mar 15 21:12:20 CET 2005

Hi!

Saveliy Tretiakov a écrit :
> I tested a new serial driver in a vmware with 4 serial ports.
> It creates only one serial device and a symbolic link to it ("COM3");
> When I write to "COM3" output goes to COM1 and mix with debug output there.
> This is a bug imho.

This is not a bug, it's a feature ;)
Serial stuff is not ready. Serial driver doesn't support reading, we
don't have any serial enumerator (serenum), serial mouse driver directly
reads and writes to port without using serial driver. Debug output does
the same.

I'm planning to replace these drivers one after one. During this time, I
don't want to break working stuff. So I decided to keep all the existing
infrastructure, and create a parallel one. That's why I created COM3.
COM1 uses the old stuff (direct write access to the port)
COM3 uses the new serial driver, and redirects to COM1

If you have a second serial port, COM4 is also an "alias" for COM2.

Your 4 serial ports in vmware are a bit "out of norm". Most of PCs only
have 2 ports. That's why I don't want to support more than the first 2
serial ports during this transition period.

Hervé