[ros-dev] Re: [ros-diffs] [ion] 14047: Dispatching & QueueRewrite II:

Jakob Eriksson jakov at vmlinux.org
Wed Mar 16 10:01:51 CET 2005

Alex Ionescu wrote:

> Richard Campbell wrote:
>
>> Ermm....IP = intellectual property...
>>
> I think that was another one of Mike's sarcastic jokes that nobody
> ever gets ;)

But I got it...

the thing is, IP is a term best reserved for use by lawyers, since it is
newspeak. There is no such thing as Intellectual Property.

It's applying property rights to something that is not property, but
information.

Information is regulated by copyrights and patents, not property laws.

I can steal your car but I can't steal you patent.
I can violate your patent though.

regards,
Jakob

(Plus it's a whole different discussion about quality of patents...)