[ros-dev] A new sub-project

Oliver Schneider Borbarad at gmxpro.net
Thu Mar 17 20:30:40 CET 2005

> I think this might be a little restrictive.
>
> A NT filesystem doesn't have to operate solely in kernel
> mode.  The kernel mode component is free to delegate work
> to a usermode component if it chooses.  (In fact, if
> I'm not mistaken, Microsoft's webdav filesystem driver
> works this way.)
The WebDAV component of MS I know is completely in usermode. It is just a
shell namespace extension.

If you meant DFS - this uses reparse points which "delegate" their work to
the DFS service (i.e. usermode). That's true, but this is not a full-blown
FS because of this - it's just another FS filter.

> I believe boot filesystems have special requirements above and
> beyond other filesystems.  (Like freeloader has to understand
> enough of it's on disk layout to load a driver off of it.)
Yap. That's surely true. Which would not be a problem in ROS (because we
have the source *g*), but on NT. And I said "potentially" exactly because of
this. But you cannot mount a filesystem relying on MySQL (a usermode
process) early during boot process.
Maybe this question should be asked in the NTFSD list - because it is about
the definition of FS in NT. I just doubt that the description we currently
have of this project qualifies it as "file system" in the classical sense.
Nevertheless it may be a coll thing ;)

Oliver