[ros-dev] Re: [ros-svn] [ea] 14244: SM: init system reading the registry

ea ea at iol.it
Wed Mar 23 00:13:34 CET 2005

Hi Steven,

>Sorry, its not your problem. I rm -fr'd my reactos tree and did a clean CVS checkout and things
>are cool now. I guess the current build system left some crap around that caused problems. Nice
>work btw on the smss stuff. How much trouble do you think it would be possible to make a native
>mode console application in smss like the Windows recovery console? I have been thinking about
>doing this for the boot CD for a while but would like to make it more powerful than the Windows
>recovery console.

SM needs some work mostly in the security and DBGSS area. I am exploring
how to move Kmode in CSR, just like winlogon, because it does not belong
there: this differs slightly from NT, but it's because multiuser support
won't be like in NT/2k/XP/2k3. Major work and cleanup is needed in CSR:
I'd like it to be a general purpose server DLL loader, so implementing a
subsystem would be just the matter of wrinting a "special" library.

The major problem for a native shell (ntosh.exe?) is I/O. As no
subsystem is present it has to open the keyboard and video devices. It
would be better implementing first a static library with basic stdio
functions that relies only on NTDLL. I've seen some code floating in the
comp newsgroups. That could be a base. I think the ERD Commander by
Russinovich is a native application (he also has some sample code on his
site).

Emanuele