[ros-dev] Re: [ros-svn] [ea] 14244: SM: init system reading the registry

Oliver Schneider Borbarad at gmxpro.net
Wed Mar 23 00:56:05 CET 2005

> caused problems. Nice
> work btw on the smss stuff. How much trouble do you think it would be
> possible to make a native mode console application in smss like the
> Windows recovery console? I have been thinking about doing this for the
> boot CD for a while but would like to make it more powerful than the
> Windows recovery console.
Yes this is possible (early ERD Commander versions have proven this as well
as O&O BlueCon), but the recovery console of Windows is implemented in
kernel mode, I believe.
SMSS is usermode already.

I am working on something like this in a very early stage for Windows
NT/2000/XP to resemble something like ERD Commander (e.g. 2000) and extend
the functionality dynamically by native programs. I am currently stuck on
keyboard input - and for textmode output I am still not sure whether a
separate and specialized driver would be the better solution over a
"proxy-into-kernel" to the Inbv* and similar APIs.

Oliver