[ros-dev] Idea for NTFS replacement

Andrew "Silver Blade" Greenwood lists at silverblade.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 02:46:40 CEST 2005

Just to chime in here... Something I've thought about recently regarding
file systems...

I believe there was going to be an ext2 driver in ReactOS. Am I right in
thinking that complications arise because of the different ways in which
security is implemented for different operating systems? And thus if you
use ext2 from Windows or NTFS from Linux, you essentially have
unrestricted access to all files (non-encrypted, of course.)

One possible solution might be to provide some sort of GROUPS and PASSWD
"emulation" in ReactOS for each user account, so when NTFS is being
used, the NT style security descriptors are used, whereas when ext2 is
used, the Linux style is used. I'm assuming here of course that Linux
uses the group and user IDs for the security info - I could be wrong.
Still fairly new to Linux.

The actual emulation implementation wouldn't be too difficult as it'd
just be a case of storing the Linux GID and UID for a user - something
which should be possible. Maybe the ext2 driver would be responsible for
converting the NT security descriptor into a Linux one? Or maybe a
common module (linuxids.dll or something?) could perform this conversion.

I'm probably dreaming away here as if it was THAT easy, surely it would
have been done already huh?