[ros-dev] Network connection config dialog prototype

Jasper van de Gronde th.v.d.gronde at hccnet.nl
Wed Mar 30 17:29:04 CEST 2005

Andrew "Silver Blade" Greenwood wrote:
 > Only thing is, I'm not sure if the tree-view is necessary - how many
 > users visit the network config dialogs more than once in a blue moon
 > to adjust something? I only ever delve in there if I'm testing a
 > router for someone and have to change my subnet.

I agree, but would it hurt them? I feel Windows is just a bit too much
like a maze in this case.

 > Also, I think the protocol-specific dialogs are actually in separate
 > modules, and appear as dialogs. I could be wrong. But this would mean
 > it'd not be possible to do as you describe :(

In some cases standard dialogs appear to be used along with information
in the registry that defines what parameters there are, their types and
values (in particular the RealTek driver I use seems to do this). This
scheme seems to not very complex than the previous one and should lend
itself very well to displaying in custom dialogs.
I don't know how common this is though and whether it's only for nic's
or also protocols for example.

For displaying custom property sheets there appears to be an INetCfg
interface on (recent versions of?) Windows, but I can't say I fully
understand the details of what this and would not allow you to do (what
exactly qualifies as a "network component" for example). And I have no
idea at all whether something like this is supported by ReactOS.

 > But as a compromise - if necessary - maybe it'd be an idea to copy the
 > Firefox style of "preferences" dialog, with icons where the tree-view
 > is, but have each icon represent a different connection...

If only one level is feasible this might indeed not be such a bad idea
(although it might get a little clumsy if it contained more than a few
entries).