[ros-dev] Package Manager

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 21:01:01 CEST 2005

Hi,

--- Jonathan Wilson <jonwil at tpgi.com.au> wrote:
> Why not?
> Its perfectly possible to include a CPL program on the same CD or zip file
> as a GPL program as long as they dont directly mix code (IANAL but this is
> what I understand). Linux distributions mix and match code of all different
> licences and get away with it.

Because we have developed this project like Debian or FreeBSD though we have a "Unspoken Social
Contract" GPL incompatible software will not be mixed in the same package or on the same medium as
GPL compatible software. I am perfectly happy to have WiX or any other OSS package shipped with
ReactOS on a Non-Free CD. It does not mean that I view the CPL as Non-Free, far from it, but in
the GPLs current incarnation it has been deamed GPL-incompatible. Maybe the GPL v3 will address
these issues and we can even ship WiX in the same package/cd as ReactOS but I still would rather
not have ReactOS become dependant on code developed by Microsoft as it may make them rethink the
idea of Freeing other packages in the future.

I would rather link, provide downloads to (apart from the main ReactOS package), and ship it on a
"extras" CD.

Thanks
Steven