[ros-dev] RE: [ros-svn] [ion] 14799: KD System Rewrite:

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.com
Sun May 1 13:35:37 CEST 2005

> From: ion at svn.reactos.com
>
> KD System Rewrite:

This utterly broke the GDB stub, to the point that I can't even use DbgPrint
anymore to try and figure out what's wrong. May I suggest you go and read
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html first, revert this
patch (so I can get on with my work), and then, if you still feel this
overwhelming urge to rewrite, test all the functionality you're replacing
(you obviously didn't even consider a "/DEBUGPORT=GDB" and boot test
necessary) before recommiting.

If I sound a little bit pissed-off, that's because it's exactly how I feel.
This is not the first time I've been bitten by a rewrite. Back in January I
spent a lot of time improving symbol handling and profiling, only to see you
remove the profiling code a few weeks later, for a "new and improved"
rewrite. Only problem is, the "new and improved" profiling system doesn't
produce any output and is therefore useless. You said you would fix that in
a weeks time, but now, months later, still nothing. I'll be damned if I'm
going to let the same happen to the GDB stub, which I use on a daily basis.

We all break stuff sometimes (God knows I do) and I can live with that. I
can even live with rewrites when they're necessary for binary compatibility
(after all, that's what this project is all about) but I'm highly suspicious
of rewrites because of "well, uhmm, I think my way is cleaner".

Gé van Geldorp.