[ros-dev] Security policy for FAT partition driver?

Mark Junker mjscod at gmx.de
Wed May 11 12:54:22 CEST 2005

Boaz Harrosh schrieb:

> 1. NTFS is already fully supported in ReactOS! By Microsoft. As shown
> by the Captive project. (You did merge back the Captive project Cache
> manager and file system stuff right?) If ReactOS is to support WinNT
> device drivers than that means, File-System device drivers as well.
> Native Knoppix has Captive by default and you can ask my friends of
> how happy they are for the stuff I saved them from a Bad and crushed
> XP HD.
> OK so it is not Implemented yet, but it is 85% and it could be if
> someone wants to merge Captive subsystems.

But this would require that every ReactOS user that wants to use NTFS
also has to buy a Windows license. This solution is therefore absolutely
useless for us. (I don't know if it is allowed to use this "standard"
windows components with operating systems other than Windows)

> 2. I have not been to Wineconf-2005, but from the summery what I could
> see is that one of the key notes was the Samba team. Now ReactOS is
> going to use Samba right? Or are you going to do your own
> Windows-for-Workgroups Implementation? Well Samba4 has all these
> things missing from ext2/ext3, implemented on top, has an extra layer.
> They call it VNTFS. By use of Samba you will get that for free. Wine
> is going to use samba to replicate all the needed Win32 API(s).

This might be a usable way ... but it's always quite dangerous to
emulate file system features. I remember all those problems with OS/2's
EADATA stuff on FAT drives ...

> Now in order for ReactOS to use Samba it will need it's POSIX layer
> pretty polished up.

This has nothing to do with the posix subsystem.

> In summery what I think should be is: A new installation, out of the
> box, installs ext3 with the Samba VNTFS layers and every thing is
> happy and free. A user that wants to dual boot or Replace but not
> loose his/her Windows NTFS HD, will be prompt for the Windows system
> directory, the NTFS drivers, which are legally his (Hence the
> existence of the NTFS partition), are copied and happily used by
> ReactOS. ReactOS does not Create new NTFS partitions but other wise
> supports them to the letter, by running MS drivers and utilities. It
> must do that to be true to its goal, as stated on the front page: Run
> any Windows application and any Windows-NT device driver. Including
> those from MS, as legally owned by the user. For any other free use of
> ReactOS the native FS is ext2/3 with Samba VNTFS extensions.

That's much too complicated. Simply use ReiserFS 4 because it implements
all (!) features that are provided by NTFS.

Regards,
Mark