[ros-dev] Security policy for FAT partition driver?

Murphy, Ged (Bolton) MurphyG at cmpbatteries.co.uk
Wed May 11 17:39:55 CEST 2005

Phillip Susi

> > 2. I have not been to Wineconf-2005, but from the summery what I could
> > see is that one of the key notes was the Samba team. Now ReactOS is
> > going to use Samba right?
>
> No.  ReactOS will not use Samba anymore than we use WINE, which is to
> say, we might borrow bits of code here and there, but as a whole, the
> project is radically different than what we need.  Samba is a server
> that runs on Linux and emulates a lanman/cifs/whatever MS is calling it
> these days server.  What ReactOS would need is a real implementation of
> the lanman server on an NT kernel, not a hacked emulation on top of posix.

I think what Boaz was talking about here was is the fact that the Samba team
(tridge) are talking about porting Samba to the Windows environment for ROS.
My (limited) understanding of this is it would be a 'real' emulation of
cifs/netbt, not samba running in a unix environment via POSIX.

Speak to Steven Edwards or KJK for more info as they were talking to Tridge.

Ged.

The information contained in this message or any of its
attachments is confidential and is intended for the exclusive
use of the addressee. The information may also be legally
privileged. The views expressed may not be company policy,
but the personal views of the originator. If you are not the
addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other
dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited.
postmaster at exideuk.co.uk
<mailto:postmaster at exideuk.co.uk> and then delete this message.

Exide Technologies is an industrial and transportation battery
producer and recycler with operations in 89 countries.
Further information can be found at www.exide.com