[ros-dev] Security policy for FAT partition driver?

Robert Köpferl rob at koepferl.de
Wed May 11 22:42:40 CEST 2005

> What features does ext3 support?  At the moment I only know of features
> it does NOT support that NTFS does, and we will need.

I rather begin to think that there are features you dont want ext? to
support it. What-o-ever. This link will answer your questions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

Actually ext3 and my preffered Fsys JFS do support EA. However there is
seemingly some difference between OS2-Ea and posix-EA. Thus JFS coming
from OS/2, it would fit best. Of course all my endeavours ended in nothing.

I share the opinion that NFFS is a thing we should more less avoid.
People are happy if one fs provides reliable access and if it is one
which is also accessible by linux, so what's better? ReactOS users will
potentially avoid MS-NT

So coming back to ext?.
There exists a rather good implementation for WinNT:
http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html
better than the italian one. So what's the source of ROS's ext2-IFS in SVN?
Did we already contact the programmer of the mentioned ext2-ifs?
Maybe he is willing to add ACL and owner-support and a Posix-EA <->
IBM-EA mapping to his implementation and work with us?

Issues:
Owners are 16-bit (since 2.6 also 32-Bit) integers. On NT they are
GUIDs. There is some partitioning in DOMAIN and USER for the GUID.
However noone hinders us to add a flag to our SM to just use 16  or 32-
bit user part for GUIDs to have an easy mapping (also on Ext2,UFS,Reiser...)

Multiple File streams. NTFS is (looking at the mentioned table) the only
FS capable of that feature. But what is it? It is just some semantic to
actually hide files having a colon it their name (more less). So such
feature can be easyly simulated by a ROS-IFS. OK, there are issues with
attributes which then exist several times. But this is in my opinion a
minor problem, since no corruption by other OSs can occour (as in FAT).
And be honest. Who uses this feature?  MS' AppleTalk-Server AND some
Virus that hides in another stream.