[ros-dev] Security policy for FAT partition driver?

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 10:33:43 CEST 2005

Hi,

--- Phillip Susi <psusi at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>   How would you reconcile the two different sets of owner and access
> information associated with the file?  For instance, if someone creates
> a file on the partition from Linux, then you mount it with ROS, who owns
> the file?  Who has access to it?  Linux would only place some
> meaningless uid and chmod mask in the inode, so how would ROS come up
> with a sensible security descriptor for the file when one does not
> already exist?

Windows would have this same problem with NTFS on Linux. If I am under Linux and make changes to
files and create files how does linux-NTFS assign the proper SID and such to the files? This has
been a long time problem that NTFS has with taking a drive from one Windows box to another. Its
the same situation and mostly pointless. 99% of new ReactOS are not going to care and the
resources we get from having a better filesystem now can be put in to developing a NTFS
replacement.

> These are the kinds of problems that make attempts for ReactOS to share
> a unix filesystem ( and vice versa ) kludgey at best.

If the ext2fsd supported ext3 journals there would be nothing wrong with using it. I mean hell
right now ReactOS does not have a security subsystem so this whole discussion is a moot point.
Unless you feel like implementing lsass =)

Thanks
Steven

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html