[ros-dev] Security policy for FAT partition driver?

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:05:49 CEST 2005

Steven Edwards wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> --- Robert Shearman <rob at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
>> You can do it the same way Samba does it by using xattrs. It's a
>> shame that so few ReactOS developers turned up to WineConf as the
>> Samba team did a presentation on this.
>

> Yes that has been my suggestion. In my mind most people wont upgrade
> from Windows to ReactOS as they already have a Windows license so
> ReactOS like Linux wont have much need for NTFS. Right now there is a
> ext2fsd that mostly works with ReactOS but currently it has some
> problems with ext3. I am aware that you can do xattr support with
> ext2 and have suggested this to the ReactOS team.
>
> Thanks Steven

Well, most people you would *think* have a valid Windows license.  Often
times, this is not the case, and I quite often give them the choice of
using a (legally) free operating system or purchasing a license for the OS.

Of those, most of them go with the earlier option rather then the
latter, and then go for the latter because of the things they use.
React would be an excellent drop-in-replacement for these folks.

Then again, I'd be moving them away from NTFS, as well.  That was a
Linux rescue disk with supported resizing/diagnosis tooks can be used on
it's filesystem.

That's not to say that I'd want to move them to FAT, because FAT sure
knows how to screw itself up royally.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!