[ros-dev] All months again: New Release

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Fri May 27 20:18:25 CEST 2005

Gedi wrote:

> Alex Ionescu wrote:
>
>> Robert Köpferl wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> we're stright aproaching a new release.
>>> Or at first: A branch.
>>> What about the version number? As far as I followed the discussions,
>>> 0.3 is still away :-( .
>>>
>>> And how about our new build system. Is it successfully running?
>>> I for my part would feel more comfortable if the next
>>> intermediate-release would still use the old build system.
>>>
>> I am against a new release.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Alex Ionescu
>

> You gotta give a reason.

It's been given many times:

- Still no usable networking for users
- Blocker bugs
- No big features (since networking/basic pnp are still not working)
- Confusion and dillution for users. Our releases start becoming
meaningless.

> How far are we estimating for 0.3 ?

When users will be able to install networking seamlessly (meaning we
will support the big chipsets and basic PnP detection) and configure
their IP address and other settings through the CPL instead of editing
weird hexadecimal numbers in the registry.