[ros-dev] RBuild woes...

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Sat May 28 17:24:46 CEST 2005

Casper Hornstrup wrote:

>>Not sure:
>>4) Is the OPTIMIZED envirovar still taken into account? I didn't seem to
>>see so.
>>

>I see no need for the OPTIMIZED configuration. To me it is only another
>source of build errors.
>
>Casper

I'm sure Thomas will come screaming when he sees this :)

I don't use it myself, but because of gcc's stupidity, it does not
detect uninitialized variables unless you optimize. What this means is
that we're all merrily working on DBG = 1, and when it's release time,
optimizations are turned on and everything breaks because uninitialized
variables are detected. Plus, it's actually a good thing to find them,
because it makes finding bugs easier. So OPTIMIZED was created to allow
-Os to be used even if it's a debug build, so that such errors can be
detected.

So it's actually a source of eliminiating build errors. But, personally,
I don't use it, and only Thomas begged me for it...