[ros-dev] More RBuild issues...

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Sun May 29 13:52:20 CEST 2005

Casper Hornstrup wrote:

>It may be crippled without optimizations but it is hardly anything that
>will kill anyone so I decided it was better to merge it to trunk now (and
>add support for optimization later) since I could find some time
>to merge this weekend. We've hacked on the old build system for 3-4 years
>now. It would be impossible for me to implement all features of the old
>build system (nor would we want to IMHO).
>
>If we didn't have so many build tool configurations then I didn't have to
>make sure it would work in so many configurations. I really wish we had a
>standard build tool configuration. If we use the same configuration then
>there is a much higher chance it will work for all. If you had told me
>it didn't work in your particular configuration within the last 5 months
>then I would have made sure it would work if I could.

I know, and I should've taken a look at the branch earlier... I
apologize. You'be been a great listener.

>I would like it if you could post revision numbers of these bugfixes because
>you make it sound like there are a million of them. I know that 'make install'
>installs some files to the wrong folders and some files are not installed.
>Please list the rest of the issues you believe are bugs. The patch is 2MB and
>very intrusive so I don't think you can reasonably expect there to not be
>any bugs.

Almost everything after the merge are fixes :)

>>2) Unable to boot ROS
>>

>You haven't even posted your configuration yet. Do you think I'm psychic?

I'm sorry...in any case...both me and Filip can boot now..thank you.

>>3) Fixing GCC 4.0 bugs.
>>

>Since when is there a rule that says you must test your changes with GCC 4?

Good point, but even 3.4.3 is broken....well, not after my "annoying"
fixes...

>>I know a minority have these issues, but a minority had GDB bugs too
>>when I broke it. And I took responsability for that. You can't outright
>>REMOVE features and then say "well Alex, it's your fault for adding them
>>back!".
>>

>I would have implemented it after the merge.
>

>>Let's not mention the fact that almost all my release features have been
>>outright removed from rbuild, as if my work on them didn't even matter.
>>

>Why didn't you say which features you wanted ported?
>
>Casper

I think I've been too harsh lately but I hope you can understand.. I'm
not blaming this entirely on you and I know everythign comes with
issues...I think it's natural for me to complain about them. I'm only
pissed about optimizations not working (but I'll test again), but I can
understand that it was better to merge into trunk and have it fixed
there, isntead of delaying rbuild even more then it already has.

So in essence and to end this discussion I'd like to say that I really
really appreciate the work you (and the others) have done on rbuild and
I very much value your profesionalism and feedback/responsiveness on the
issues. I can also boot/build ReactOS on GCC 4.0 so that also makes me
happy.

I can only hope that you will have time to implement project
linker-flags like I mentionned and add back the strip functionality :)
Oh and, it seems that "make module_install" doesn't rebuild the module
(even though I modified files). It would be good if this could be fixed.
And putting the makefiles into svn:ignore.