[ros-dev] Symbol handling

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.com
Sun May 29 23:04:25 CEST 2005

> From: Alex Ionescu
>
> Because it takes people on 56K modems 4 more hours to
> download the ISO.

Call me spoiled, but I don't think we should limit ourselves by the
possibilities of 56K modems.

> Because it makes the installation media much larger; gone is
> the possibility to give off cool looking ROS CDs on those
> "business card sized" CDs or other similar media.

Right... How many of these have we given away?

> >The rsym section can be NOLOAD so there is no memory bloat.
>
> Please elaborate...do we support NOLOAD?

Yes

> Is it marked as NOLOAD?

Yes

> I doubt it, because when I boot ReactOS DBG it's
> using 50MB of memory.

That's because the symbol handling code now goes in and reads the rossym
section. It's not the loader, it's the symbol handling code.

> I'm merely asking for RELEASE builds to be just that
> *release* builds.

And that sounds reasonable when we get at ReactOS 1.0. Until that time, the
more debug info available, the better.

> You want them to have symbols built-in the files. I'm saying
> that it forces *everyone* to have 64MB computers.

No, it doesn't. There's a difference between including the symbols in the
files and loading them into memory.

Gé van Geldorp