[ros-dev] More RBuild issues...

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Sun May 29 23:46:25 CEST 2005

Ge van Geldorp wrote:

>>From: Casper Hornstrup
>>
>>The rsym section can be NOLOAD so there is no memory bloat.
>>

>It's already NOLOAD... What I do see as a potential problem is that the
>symbols are loaded into non-paged pool. This is because they're needed
>during a bug check, at which time we can't page them back in (or read them
>from the image file).
>
>How about introducing a boot option /LOADSYMBOLS, defaulting to YES for DBG
>:= 1 and NO for DBG := 0? That way, a user having a reproducible problem can
>be instructed to add that option so we can have a good stack trace. Maybe
>reporterror can load the symbols when needed? Just tossing around some ideas
>here.
>
>Ge van Geldorp.

Ge,

THANK YOU for coming up with something! I love this idea, because it
gets rid of the memory problem, which is what mostly bothers me.

However, there is another one: gcc makes ntoskrnl 1.3MB with
optimizations on and rsym "Stripping" the symbols.
However, building with -s and then doing strip -x creates a 530KB file
(this is what msvc would produce).

If we can somehow remove the 900KB "gcc bloat" and keep the symbols, I
will be very happy (And the users too).
The main reason I'm not so happy with the symbols is that we can't strip
the files (afaik). The extra 800KB isn't symbol data...