[ros-dev] Vmware 5.0 Linux Licenses

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Tue May 31 22:41:58 CEST 2005

Mike Swanson wrote:

>It sounds fishy to me... for one, you can freely download the tarball
>of VMware by registering and just downloading it. If you enter a trial
>key, you are restricted to the 30 days. If you enter a purchased key,
>you are not restricted in use. (I do not know if other keys exist, but
>it's likely that ff they do, the same binaries operate accordingly).
>
>Plus, are you even authorised to do this or are these illegit keys?
>I'd watch out about this too, since you do not have a vmware.com email
>address.

Hi Mike,

I don't know if you were being sarcastic, playing a joke, or making
serious doubts.

My name is Alex Ionescu and I am one of the lead kernel developers on
ReactOS, as well as the User-Mode Networking designer, working on all
winsock-related DLLs and NSP/LSP support (a great part of the original
code was written by Casper Hornstup, so credit must go there as well). I
am also the JANITOR Program Manager and Founder, and a current nominee
for the Kernel Coordinator position. Finally, I am the official group
contact on Freenode for ReactOS, as well as the current manager of the
ReactOS swag store on cafepress, which I'll finish up this week.

Now, bearing all that in mind, do you really, really think that I am
about to send our core developers a corrupted, infected or pirated copy
of VMWare 5.0 along with illegit keys, thereby jeopardizing this entire
project, the developers, and my own position and life?