[ros-dev] LinuxWorld report

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.org
Wed Oct 5 18:42:28 CEST 2005

Just a quick report from LinuxWorld London. We've just finished
the first day of the exhibition, lots of interest. What surprised
me a bit was that the general awareness about the project was
somewhat lower than last year in Frankfurt. I guess that 80-90%
of the people we spoke last year had already heard about the
project, that percentage was a lot lower here (more around 30%).

Another pleasant surprise was the stability of the system. We ran
it on an old laptop with a few applications: Quake 1, WinZip,
IrfanView, AbiWord. On demand we showed some other apps like
regedit, notepad, task manager. The system froze one time when
a visitor played around with it, other than that no problems at
all. Not a single kernel crash. We had to Tab-K to force a kernel
check to show the BSOD to a visitor. I say let's bring out r18189
(I think...) as 0.2.8 (j/k).

People were reacting very nicely. It was nice to see them
picking up a flyer rather uninterestedly, start to read, and
then suddenly turn back to watch the demo when they realized
what the project was all about.

Ge van Geldorp.