[ros-dev] Idea for a new part in headers of .rc files

David Hinz post.center at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 23:16:26 CEST 2005

Hey guys,

when I just translated format, I stunbled over one thing:
What if somebody changed the content of a string after I translated it?

After some minutes, I had a easy solution for that problem:

The En.rc gets a little line in it's head-comment with a revision
number. Each time somebody changes or adds a string in the En.rc, he
sets the revision number +1 and so all translators have an easy to
control indicator, if they need to translate something or not.

But I think one thing should be clear, if there just has been corrected
a spelling mistake and not something important, the revision number
won't be touched.

Now some example headers:

in the EN.rc:

/*
  * Moved all hardcoded strings to En.rc.
  * By Magnus Olsen  2005
  *
  * Revision: 1
  */

in my De.rc:

/*
  * Moved all hardcoded strings to En.rc.
  * By Magnus Olsen  2005
  * First German Translation by David Hinz 20051010
  *
  * Translated Revision 1 of En.rc
  */

This is just an idea, but I think this could save a lot of work on
bigger applications than format...

Greets,

David Hinz