[ros-dev] FreeWin95

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Wed Oct 12 01:38:43 CEST 2005

Gunnar Dalsnes wrote:

> Alex Ionescu wrote:
>
>> Emanuele Aliberti wrote:
>>

>>> The two opposite directions the CSR can turn for are:
>>> - be a process totally bound to the Windows personality
>>

>> Which it's -supposed- to be. CSR is W32SS.
>>
>>> - be a general purpose process, a facility for any kind of personality
>>

>> Other personalities don't need CSR! They have PSX and OS2 and VMS and
>> etc...
>>

> Makes sense.
>
> But maybe each subsystem have much in common and EA wants to separate
> this out so it can be reused?

It's called SMSS. It provides a set of APIs and callbacks for each
subsystems to use.

> Like a common subsystem library?

SMLIB is ours, MS used to have it static but now exposes it through
Rtl*sm* in ntdll.dll starting in Vista.

> I see no problem with this either as long as its not bound to a
> particular subsystem.

SMSS/SMLIB aren't. All subsystems can (*must*) use them, and also
provide callbacks to that SMSS can call them with common stuff.