[ros-dev] RE: Ros-dev Digest, Vol 14, Issue 25

David Hinz post.center at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 14:12:06 CEST 2005

Brandon Turner schrieb:

> Yeah, in general if i change anything in the .rc file i make it known
> pretty clearly in my svn log.
>
> Brandon
>
> Thomas Weidenmueller wrote:
>
>> Lucio Diaz wrote:
>>

>>> David Hinz wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey guys,
>>> when I just translated format, I stunbled over one
>>> thing:
>>> What if somebody changed the content of a string after
>>> I translated it?
>>> After some minutes, I had a easy solution for that
>>> problem:
>>> The En.rc gets a little line in it's head-comment with
>>> a revision
>>> number. Each time somebody changes or adds a string in
>>> the En.rc, he
>>> sets the revision number +1 and so all translators
>>> have an easy to
>>> control indicator, if they need to translate something
>>> or not.
>>> But I think one thing should be clear, if there just
>>> has been corrected
>>> a spelling mistake and not something important, the
>>> revision number
>>> won't be touched.
>>> Now some example headers:
>>> in the EN.rc:
>>> /*
>>>  * Moved all hardcoded strings to En.rc.
>>>  * By Magnus Olsen  2005
>>>  *
>>>  * Revision: 1
>>>  */
>>> in my De.rc:
>>> /*
>>>  * Moved all hardcoded strings to En.rc.
>>>  * By Magnus Olsen  2005
>>>  * First German Translation by David Hinz 20051010
>>>  *
>>>  * Translated Revision 1 of En.rc
>>>  */
>>> This is just an idea, but I think this could save a
>>> lot of work on
>>> bigger applications than format...
>>>

>> Uhm...why not simply watch SVN or take a look at the svn logs?
>>
>> - Thomas

Well, the thing is I wanted to have something that makes it very easy to
see, if something has changed since the last time I translated that file.
Watching the svn all the time is not that easy than just looking at a
number.
There could also be a little helper app that scans all .rc files in my
language and all en.rcs for revision differences and shows me, where I
have to translate something.
Then I can look in the svn what actually has been changed.
It just makes things easier for translators.

Greets,

David Hinz