[ros-dev] RE: Ros-dev Digest, Vol 14, Issue 25

David Hinz post.center at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 18:01:11 CEST 2005

Maarten Bosma schrieb:

>> If someone would want to create a script that checks the last-changed
>> svn
>> revision of .rc files against the corresponding English resource file, I
>> could put that on reactos.org and have it run once or twice a day and
>> put
>> the results on the website.
>>
> If no one else wants to I would do it, when I have a bit more time.
>
> Royce Mitchell III schrieb:
>
>> The best way to accomplish this, IMHO, is to feed the results of "svn
>> blame" into a utility that can do those comparisons for you, and give
>> you a list of what non-english strings are missing or older than the
>> english strings.
>>
> Don't see how svn blame could be usefull here. You just need a paser
> that generates mysql database entries from rc files and run him
> everytime one of the files changes.
>

> Maarten Bosma

Well, my idea with the database would also allow us to share strings
between different applications.
We _could_ create a MySQL database on the reactos.org server and update
our local database from it, just like svn.
The .rc files don't contain the full strings any more, the just tell a
little application which strings it has to load from the db and put them
into the .rc file.
This would allow easier translation, because a string only needs to be
translated one time and not in every single application. And I think
there are a lot of strings that can be used in more than one application.

This is of course just an idea, but there are a lot of applications we
will create, and they all need to be translated in let's say 50
different languages.
I think, we can save a lot of work here.
Just think about it.

Greets,

David Hinz