[ros-dev] Idea for the textual setup of ReactOS

David Hinz post.center at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 17:12:56 CEST 2005

Maarten Bosma schrieb:

> David Hinz wrote:
>
>> I can't see your problem with the directory names.
>> I would boot up the ReactOS LiveCD, which would have a fullscreen
>> graphic setup instead of the explorer GUI.
>> So we don't need to implement the graphic subsystem into the setup,
>> we just need to create a fullscreen setup app.
>> Of course I don't want to replace the LiveCD with this, so I don't
>> see any problems.
>

> This is allready how setup works but it does not replace the shell
> (explorer.exe) but smss.exe (Session Manager)
> so it is more low level. I guess that we get much better performace
> and memory usage that way.  I also have to
> say that I think the installer is the least importained thing in the OS.
>
> Maarten Bosma

It is unimportant, but I think as MS introduces such a graphical
installer in Windows Vista we should at least start thinking about such
an installer for ReactOS.
At some point we will have to create such an installer, a lot of users
don't like textmode installers and console, because they think it is
complicated and without a mouse most computerusers can't work, at least
they think it is that way.
And I think, it won't be that complicated to create such a setup, as we
already have a lot of code we can reuse.

Greets,

David Hinz