[ros-dev] FreeWin95

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Fri Oct 14 22:18:51 CEST 2005

I was under the impression that the SFU programs were all win32
subsystem, they just provided network access to unix services, and
therefore, there was no posix subsystem.

Are you saying that SFU ships PE images tagged for the posix subsystem
instead of win32 cui?

Alex Ionescu wrote:

> Erm, the posix subsystem has been removed since Windows 2000. Had SFU
> not been including one all along, then all those utlities would've never
> worked...so yes, SFU -does- include psxss. That part is called SUA
> (Subsystem for Unix Applications). One of the big improvemnts is that it
> now supports 64-bit.
>
> Best regards,
> Alex Ionescu

The kernel still only has a single namespace.  The session specific
namespaces are implemented as object manager directories other than
\DosDevices, and kernel32.dll simply prefixes the correct path for the
current session instead of \DosDevices.  You can force it to use
\DosDevices instead of the session directory by prefixing the names you
pass it with Global\.