[ros-dev] Release process

Jason Filby jason.filby at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 16:50:56 CEST 2005

Hi

Yes, I'm also not happy about how this has all turned out. I too was
unaware of WaxDragon being the Testing Coordinator until recently
myself! Apparently it was all organized back in the 0.2.7 release in
the middle of a thread where a few individuals decided it should
happen. I have no problem with WaxDragon being Testing Coordinator,
but am not really happy with the way it was done. Apparently Steven
used his 'executive override' to put Wax in the position, and Alex was
going to talk to me about it later (which he never did). I eventually
emailed Andrew to figure out for myself what was going on (just this
last week). I really don't think it's too much to ask to consider
everyone else in the project and our existing processes.

Nobody appears to disagree with Andrew being Testing Coordinator (if
you do, now's the time to object). What is a problem, as Ge has said,
is that the role of the this coordinator has not been agreed upon.

I would say that the main concern of the TC is the formation of a
testing team. Until that happens, the TC is the testing team.

The Testing Team's responsibilities could include:
- Overseeing the BugZilla repository
- Working with developers to identify bugs, useful information
regarding them and confirmation of resolution
- Working with the release manager concerning blocker bugs
- Working with developers to maintain CIS and its tests (future)

We need to lay down some guidelines as to what constitutes a blocker
bug for a release. I would say these should be voted on if people
don't agree, not vetoed.

These are just some starting points for discussion - and really what
we should have done in the first place.

Regards
Jason