[ros-dev] Endianness

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Mon Oct 17 23:40:56 CEST 2005

Bart Grantham wrote:

> Sorry to barge onto the list with what may be an offtopic post, but I
> am very curious about how married ReactOS is to little-endianness.  Is
> there something intrinsic about how Windows is architected that would
> prevent ReactOS from being ported to a big-endian platform?

No, Windows itself originally ran on multiple platforms and is very
portable. The problem is with the actual apps out there. A lot of them
are married to litle-endianness... so already, if you had a ROS PPC
port, then you could only run NT PPC programs. And if the port was
big-endian, then you could only run the NT PPC programs which are
portable enough to work in big-endian.

> I noticed that the inital work on the PPC port was done with the CPU
> in little-endian mode.  Was this for convenience or was this a
> technical decision?

Mostly convinence for the reasons above.