[ros-dev] top-level source header

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.org
Wed Oct 19 09:56:35 CEST 2005

> From: Casper Hornstrup
>
> /*
>  * PROJECT:   ReactOS Kernel
>  * LICENSE:   GPL - See COPYING in the top level directory
>  * COPYRIGHT: Copyright (C) 2004-2005 John Doe
>  *            Copyright (C) 2005 Jane Doe
>  */

I may be nitpicking here, not being a lawyer and all, but: I was told that
(C) is not a valid replacement for the "C in a circle" copyright symbol.
Therefor, it is better to leave the (C) out:

/*
 * PROJECT:   ReactOS Kernel
 * LICENSE:   GPL - See COPYING in the top level directory
 * COPYRIGHT: Copyright 2004-2005 John Doe
 *            Copyright 2005 Jane Doe
 */

The US Copyright Office says on their website
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#noc (hope I don't violate
copyright by quoting this, I think it's fair use <g>):

[begin quote]
The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain all the following
three elements:

1. The symbol C (the letter C in a circle), or the word "Copyright," or the
abbreviation "Copr."; and

2. The year of first publication of the work. In the case of compilations or
derivative works incorporating previously published material, the year date
of first publication of the compilation or derivative work is sufficient.
The year date may be omitted where a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work,
with accompanying textual matter, if any, is reproduced in or on greeting
cards, postcards, stationery, jewelry, dolls, toys, or any useful article;
and

3. The name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an abbreviation by
which the name can be recognized, or a generally known alternative
designation of the owner.
[end quote]

Ge van Geldorp