[ros-dev] list macros roundup

Gunnar Dalsnes hardon at online.no
Thu Sep 29 11:37:43 CEST 2005

> Really? Let me point you to some of the famous threads by our Microsoft
> friends, including some of their most distinguished engineers:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/archive/2004/12/01/273160.aspx

I read it, and there are just as many posts against his as with him.

Larrys "point" is that "one line of code (in this case a macro)
generated 1kb of code and it made the binariy huge". Also, larry thinks
using vector is just as bad, so you shouldnt code in standard C++, ever!
C++ is banned also!

"/me: But Larry, i have a small macro and i _know_ it wont generate more
code compared to manual writing. Its a real simple macro. Larry: Macros
are evil i say! Never, ever use them! Never! /me: but Windows exes are
alredy huge and Windows use lots of memory. It doesnt look like not
using macros have helped for Windows? Larry: Uhm..."

A little puppet show for u there;-P

G.