[ros-dev] RE: [ion] 20554: - Fix shamefully dangerously broken WorkThread/Queue/Item implementation:

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.org
Wed Jan 4 10:35:26 CET 2006

> From: ion at svn.reactos.org
>
>   * Do not pollute the kernel with 10 real-time threads and 5
> high-priority threads in order to manage work items. Work
> threads are very-low priority (< 7) and should never pre-empt
> userthreads like they do now. 1 priority 7, 5 priority 5 and
> 3 priority 4 threads are now properly created.

I haven't looked at your code yet, but the comment worries me. Does it mean
that if a usermode app is stuck in a "while (1) ;" loop stuff queued by
IoAllocateWorkItem( ) never gets executed? If I misunderstood, nevermind,
disregard this message. If this is true we're in big trouble. We're using
work items in a lot of places to get from DPC level to PASSIVE level. For
example, the networking stack queues a work item when data was received from
the network card. I'd hate to see a stuck usermode app halt all network
communications...

GvG