[ros-dev] [ion] 20554: - Fix shamefully dangerously brokenWorkThread/Queue/Item implementation:

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Wed Jan 4 21:26:53 CET 2006

Ge van Geldorp wrote:

>>From: Alex Ionescu
>>
>>I've simply made work threads have the same priorities as in
>>NT, so now they act the same (that is, lower priority then
>>normal threads).
>>I'm not quite sure how the scheduler in ReactOS handles your
>>scenario however; while it is true that when an app is stuck
>>and its thread's quantum runs out, the NT scheduler will
>>prefer to choose a thread with a higher priority; however,
>>after a while, the threads with lower priority will have been
>>in a wait state for a long time, the kernel will realize
>>this, boost their priorities and have them run again.
>>

>AFAIK (but this is certainly not my area of expertise) we don't boost
>priorities. But even if we did, it's not good enough since it takes too long
>for the work items to be run. Having a single network packet come in every
>tenth of a second or so doesn't sound too appealing.
>
>Your change doesn't seem consistent with MSDN, my CD copy of Oct-2005 (can't
>find it in the online version) documents a WORK_QUEUE_TYPE CriticalWorkQueue
>as "Insert the WorkItem into the queue from which a system thread with a
>real-time priority attribute will process the work item." Of course, MSDN
>has been known to be wrong before.

I will re-verify this...

>Anyway, you still have a couple of weeks before the next release to fix the
>regression you introduced (affecting at least networking, Tab+K behaviour, I
>think mouse message delivery)

Huh? Where are you getting this information from? I'm not denying it but
I have received no warning that I've caused such a regression, unless
this is it? :)

>, although fixing the regression (bug 1213)
>caused by your previous commits might take some of your time too.

Sorry, again, what does 1213 have to do with me? I received no
information relating to this bug... I will look at the bug report now..

Next time I apparently cause regressions, please add me to the CC list
of the bug so I can know what regressions I may or may not have caused.

>GvG

Best regards,
Alex Ionescu