[ros-dev] Re: [ros-svn] [ion] 20554: - Fix shamefully dangerously broken Work Thread/Queue/Item implementation:

WaxDragon waxdragon at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 21:54:21 CET 2006

On 1/7/06, Hartmut Birr <osexpert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Alex Ionescu wrote:
> > Hartmut Birr wrote:
> >
> >> The real problem is,
> >> KiAbortWaitThread is called for a thread which does not waiting.
> >>

> > Ok, since this happened after my worker thread patch and they use
> > kernel queues, I reviewed their implementation and found a number of
> > important flaws.. wether or not they cause this problem I can't tell
> > for sure, but I've also added a debug print before the
> > KeAbortWaitThread call... let me know if this patch fixes anything or
> > if the dprint shoes that the thread isn't really waiting.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Alex Ionescu
>
> I've test your changes (r20579 with r20601,20605,20606).
> KeAbortWaitThread is called for waiting threads only. But I'm running in
> another problem. Compiling ros on ros (with the nice parameter '-j2')
> hangs after some time.

When I try to selfhost with a -O2 build, I see a hang about 90% into
the build.  The hang I see is *hard*, at least under vmware, nothing
is reponding.   I don't use "-j2".

>If I look to taskmgr or ctm, only the idle thread
> consumes cpu power.

I have seen this once, I don't remember what I was doing at the time,
it may have compiling.

>Sometimes I can stop the compiling with Ctrl-C,
> sometimes not. I wasn't able to compile ros on the smp machine. On the
> up machine, one of four compile runs does finish.
>
> - Hartmut

WD
--
<Alex_Ionescu> it's like saying let's rename Ke to Kernel because
people think it's Ketchup