[ros-dev] FAT Opinion

TwoTailedFox twotailedfox at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 15:18:11 CET 2006

FAT16 and FAT32 are only included in ReactOS for the
"Windows-Compatible" section of the "ReactOS Charter"

Thus, is worst came to worst, ReactOS would have to do one or all of
the following in the States:

1) Crack NTFS
2) Finish Implementing Ext2, and make it Default FS
3) Implement ReiserFS/Reiser 4, or another file system such as XFS, JFS

On 1/11/06, Rick Langschultz <rlangschultz at cox.net> wrote:
> i would rather use a filesystem that was able to store things larger
> than that. What about virtual machine disks? I think that FAT32 is
> the wrong fs to be using here people.
> On Jan 11, 2006, at 7:44 AM, nitro2k01 wrote:
>
> > FAT32 limits file sizes to 4 GB.
> >
> >                                         /nitro2k01
> >
> > On 1/11/06, Rick Langschultz <rlangschultz at cox.net> wrote:
> >> The only thing i see that will allow Microsoft to use the patent
> >> for the FAT
> >> filesystem naming conventions is holding it above other operating
> >> system
> >> developer's heads. I think that FAT was never a good choice for a
> >> filesystem. If M$ does decide to get feisty ReactOS should
> >> implement a VFS
> >> for something like FAT over XFS, EXT3, or Reiser.
> >>
> >> All of these are really good at storing large amounts of data very
> >> fast. I
> >> also think that an NTFS implementation or a VFS would be a great
> >> idea.
> >>
> >> Can someone provide statistics about any of these filesystems or
> >> verify if
> >> these are able to store files larger than a certain size. I also
> >> think that
> >> FAT has a max file size limit...
> >>

> >> On Jan 11, 2006, at 5:18 AM, Murphy, Ged (Bolton) wrote:
> >>

> >> I'm reading reports of a US patent on FAT.
> >> What's going on and how will this effect us?
> >>
> >> The US patent rules are seriously out of control :(
> >>
> >> Ged
> >>

> >> *********************************************************************
> >> ***
> >> The information contained in this message or any of its
> >> attachments is confidential and is intended for the exclusive
> >> use of the addressee. The information may also be legally
> >> privileged. The views expressed may not be company policy,
> >> but the personal views of the originator. If you are not the
> >> addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other
> >> dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited.
> >> If you have received this message in error, please contact
> >> postmaster at exideuk.co.uk
> >> <mailto:postmaster at exideuk.co.uk> and then delete this message.
> >>
> >> Exide Technologies is an industrial and transportation battery
> >> producer and recycler with operations in 89 countries.
> >> Further information can be found at www.exide.com
> >>

> > --
> > The blog  of nitro2k01: <http://soundandcomplete.blogspot.com/>
> > Saliga äro de som kan stava till 2k01!        Sniphpha sniphph!

"I had a handle on life, but then it broke"