[ros-dev] Bye bye

Hartmut Birr osexpert at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 18 21:01:35 CET 2006

Jason Filby wrote:
> Hi all
>
> According to our project's legal policy document, reverse-engineering
> is allowed to study the internals of Windows, but cannot be used as
> the basis to write code for particular functions.

Hi,

I don't agree completely with our legal policy. In my opinion, it is
allowed to use reverse-engineering to find out interfaces or something
like this. It isn't allowed to disassemble windows to study how the fast
call entry works or to find out how the APC code is implemented. There
exist some paper on the web. It is allowed to use the nice paper from
David P. Probert (Windows Kernel Development). It isn't allowed to use
the code from the dude called CrazyLord (Reverse Engineer).

- Hartmut