[ros-dev] Bye bye

Hartmut Birr osexpert at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 18 22:44:35 CET 2006

Royce Mitchell III wrote:
> Hartmut Birr wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't agree completely with our legal policy. In my opinion, it is
>> allowed to use reverse-engineering to find out interfaces or something
>> like this. It isn't allowed to disassemble windows to study how the fast
>> call entry works or to find out how the APC code is implemented. There
>> exist some paper on the web. It is allowed to use the nice paper from
>> David P. Probert (Windows Kernel Development). It isn't allowed to use
>> the code from the dude called CrazyLord (Reverse Engineer).
>>

> This isn't quite fair, unfortunately. We've gone a long time without
> an explicit policy regarding this subject, mostly because we were all
> in agreement. You can't boot someone out because they violated a rule
> that wasn't made clear to them. OTOH, if our position is clearly
> stated and is violated then I agree - begone with them.

Looking on http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/dev_legalreview.htm
<http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/dev_legalreview.html>, I found:
<snip>
C. Copyrights of Others
The ReactOS Project depends on copyright law for the protection of its
code, and by the same token, it respects the copyrights of others.
Following are the policies of the ReactOS Project as they relate to
copyright:
<snip>
Disassembly of object code is held to be a form of reverse engineering.
Disassembled code listings should be treated with the same terms of
license as the object code itself.
<snip>

If I understand this correctly with my poor English, it isn't possible
to disassembly a part of windows and uses this information to implement
the same code in ReactOS.

- Hartmut