[ros-dev] Bye bye

Casper Hornstrup ch at eudicon.com
Wed Jan 18 23:21:29 CET 2006

Forgot my reference:

http://www.nus.edu.sg/intro/slides/021111_1_Wilson%20Wong.ppt

What is protectable?

Functionality?
- not protected
- must be an "expression...of a set of instructions"
- Autodesk Inc v Dyason (Aust): copying function of AutoCAD lock but not
code (no infringement)

Program Structure?
- (cf: plot elements in literary/dramatic works capable of protection)
- eg. structural arrangements of modules and subroutines
- yes if expression of idea, & no if ideas or functions: difficult line to
draw
- yes if organisation, sequence, arrangement or compilation
- not protectable: elements of software which are:
  * ideas;
  * dictated by efficiency or external factors (eg h/w) specs, compatibility
reqms, industry standards; or
  * public domain
- not if similarity is due only to similar subject matter
  * analogy: drawing of a hand
  * eg any 2 word processors will have some structural similarities

We use the compatibility requirement reason. If we don't have that reason,
then we have no right to create an identical implementation.

Casper