[ros-dev] Bye bye

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:31:44 CET 2006

Hi Hartmut,

On 1/19/06, Hartmut Birr <osexpert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> If it is legal by the ReactOS policy to disassemble every piece of
> windows code to implement ReactOS, I would like it if ReactOS can put
> this on the home page as the first topic.
>
> This type of reverse-engineering is prohibited by law in many countries.
> It gives M$ a very easy way to kick the project.
>
> I can't believe that the project was started with this justification.

No this is clearly a violation of the policy

>From Section C of the ReactOS IP Statement (C. Copyrights of Others)

....Any source code produced by direct reverse engineering should be
treated in exactly the same way as any other non-free source code -
useful for study and understanding of the system, but not permitted
for inclusion in ReactOS.

> My recommendation for ReactOS is:
>
> 1) Review the ReactOS project development policy

I think the policy is clear that this type of dirty-room reverse
engineering should be used as a last resort only.

> 2) Review all code

Agreed

> 3) Remove all code, which don't match to the policy.

Agreed

--
Steven Edwards - ReactOS and Wine developer