[ros-dev] Bye bye

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 05:32:04 CET 2006

Joseph Galbraith wrote:
[snip]

> Probably, to be safe, we'd actually need to say:
>
>   If you look at windows in a disassembler, you
>   MUST NOT write code for ReactOS.  Sorry, thats
>   the way it is.  But wait!  You can still help with
>   the project by looking at this list (link to list)
>   of things we need to know in order to be compatible
>   with windows.  Then, discover this information using
>   the disassembler, and write a specification (plain
>   English, no code or pseudo-code please) that describes
>   what we need to know and submit it to the project
>   for inclusion in our repository.  One of our developers
>   will then (eventually) get around to using your
>   specification to correct our implementation to be
>   compatible.
>
> I'm not sure we'd ever get that through... but that is the
> way it should be.
>
> Of course, I'm not a lawyer ... so what do I know.

Pseudocode should be acceptable; if you are looking at disassembly, and
write pseudo-C pseudocode, you are, in effect, doing the same thing as
writing it in English.  The end will be code that is still as original
as from a written English document.  There's little difference between
the two following items:

"The code works by copying a string from memory location A to memory
location B, adding an extra byte after each character in the string to
describe attributes."

And:

=====

string_pointer A
string_pointer B

while A[location] != NULL BYTE
{
	B[A's location * 2] = A[location]
	B[(A's Location * 2)+1] = WHITE ON BLACK DESCRIPTION (e.g., 70)
}

=====

That is not valid code, and gets pretty much the same thing across but
in a different manner.  Accompanied by more verbose English to fill in
some of the terseness, it's a perfect solution that does not compromise
any legal coding.

	- Mike