[ros-dev] Re: [ros-svn] [mbosma] 20952: Delete libjpeg because sedwards and greatlord thought we should wait with jpeg support until the patent expired. If someone got a different opinion please take the issue to ros-dev.

art yerkes ayerkes at speakeasy.net
Fri Jan 20 19:56:38 CET 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:05:11 +0100
mf <mf at mufunyo.net> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
>  > Delete libjpeg because sedwards and greatlord thought we should wait
> with jpeg support until the patent expired. If someone got a different
> opinion please take the issue to ros-dev.
>  >
>  >
>  > Deleted files:
>  > vendor/libjpeg/
>
> I hereby "take the issue to ros-dev", because I have a different
> opinion. ReactOS is filled with patented (to more and lesser extent,
> ranging from SEH to scrollbars, I kid you not) features, and I believe
> it is hypocritical to simply remove one of them. I don't know the
> details on the libjpeg patent, but I do know that linux distributions
> use libjpeg as well, and I haven't seen them remove it yet. I officially
> request a vote to revert this commit.

There's a lot of FUD going on here.

For one thing, our SEH method is not patented.  It is a novel method
devised by KJK which doesn't use compiler support as claimed by the
borland patent.
--
Here's a simple experiment. Stand on a train track between two
locomotives which are pushing on you with equal force in opposite