[ros-dev] Reset, Reboot, Restart, legal issues and the long road to 0.3

Craig Talbert craig.talbert at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 05:40:02 CET 2006

On 1/26/06, Robert Shearman <rob at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> You can walk very close to the line, but the damages from a potential
> Microsoft lawsuit are so great that it would seem sensible to not go
> anywhere near the line.

I don't think Microsoft looks at ReactOS as a threat, espeically now
that Vista is becoming real.  The goal should be to keep moving
ReactOS along as fast as reasonably possible.

Remember, staying out of trouble isn't about whether or not you're
breaking the law -- it's about not pissing off the wrong people.  If
Microsoft ever does think of ReactOS as a serious threat, regardless
of how prestine the code is, they have the resources to tie it up in
the courts for as long as they want. They'll use the same strategy
they did in the anti-trust suits: "appeal until we get the verdict we
want."

Success for ReactOS will always be a double-edged sword.  The
important thing is to move forward, and if we ever get on Microsoft's
radar to get enough of the collective forces of good behind us -- the
EFF, the ACLU, 2600, etc.  But, again, I don't think that's likely.

- Craig