[ros-dev] Propose standards for the audit

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 08:57:33 CET 2006

On 1/28/06, art yerkes <ayerkes at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Nobody's saying 'oh noes ... we must toss all code with gotos'.
> These are metrics for functions that we must consider as needing
> more than cursory examination.  I was trying to set some
> boundaries for clearly in and clearly out that can be measured
> in a somewhat objective way.

I'm not a developer on the ReactOS project, so I only see what's on
the mailing list.  My comments were based on Steven's original
statement:

"A function is deemed to have been implemented in a non-clean manner if..."

which led me to believe that any functions matching the conditions
that followed would be deemed non-clean and removed.  I don't have a
problem with the removal of non-clean code, but seeing as how this is
a draft and still up for debate, I threw in my opinion about two cases
that weren't clear enough.

> To me, using more than two or three goto targets per function is
> excessive.  Goto targets for cleanup and generic error handling
> are pretty common in C code, but I believe that code which uses
> more than a handful of gotos should at least be examined in
> detail.

Then we are in agreement.

--
James Hawkins