[ros-dev] Undocumented APIs

Thomas Weidenmueller w3seek at reactos.com
Tue Jan 31 16:51:33 CET 2006

Royce Mitchell III wrote:
> Perhaps this is silly or an oversimplification, but if we can't find a
> program that uses an undocumented API, then what's the point in
> implementing it? After all, if you're able to get ReactOS to run every
> app you care about, then haven't we succeeded?

I implemented a large number of APIs probably only very few applications
use. I usually did that out of boredom or just for fun. Most of them are
documented but I think the same applies to "undocumented" APIs. It's not
a problem for me to provide test cases but not being allowed to
implement them at all is a bit too much IMO. I understand we have to be
paranoid to a certain extent, but IMO this rather concerns internal
implementations than more or less public interfaces. It's something I
didn't like WINE for. I found it quite odd having to find a "real-world"
application that depends on something, and not even a test application
would be sufficient to justify a change or implementation.

- Thomas