[ros-dev] Undocumented APIs

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 19:40:48 CET 2006

Hi,

On 1/31/06, Alex Ionescu <ionucu at videotron.ca> wrote:
> I am vehemently against this idea and I think it kills any chance of
> ReactOS being an NT clone. Have we changed goals or something? I thought
> the point wasn't just to run Windows applications.. if that's all we
> care about now, then why don't we just say fuck-all to the NT
> Architecture and you guys can go and do stuff your own way...get rid of
> smss, get rid of csrss, put win32k in usermode, don't use any internal
> NT structures anymore, and hell, don't even use syscalls anymore, nobody
> depends on those.

Linux is not a Unix clone, its a Unix replacement. There is no reason
we have to clone 100% of the Windows internal implementation. Its not
like our OpenGL.dll acts the same way internally as the Microsoft
OpenGL.dll but who cares it still works. When there is documentation
describing the way Windows does something then we should follow it.
When there is not documentation what choice do we have? If you are
going to reverse all of ntoskrnl.exe,csrss,win32k and friends for us
and publish a book based on its internals I have no doubt that the
project will use it as a reference.

--
Steven Edwards - ReactOS and Wine developer