[ros-dev] Undocumented APIs

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 20:18:01 CET 2006

On 1/31/06, Alex Ionescu <ionucu at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Well you're contradicting yourself..."When there is documentation
> describing the way Windows does something then we should follow it" then
> you say "If an API is not used by application then we should not
> implement it because it does not help the goal of the project".
> SMSS/CSRSS are documented and described in general...however not
> implementing them at all does not change the fact that Office and MSN
> Messenger will run. No application/driver depends on them...
>
> You guys better decide, you seem kind of confused...are you going to
> create a working model of NT based on architectural information (and
> that includes, OSR, PDBs, MSDN, DDKs, NTDEV/NTIFS Mailing Lists, Windows
> Internals, Probert, etc) or are you going to create some half-assed OS
> that runs every app the users want?

It either must 1. Be documented or 2. Have a third party application
that depends on certain functionality. If MSDN, OSR, NTDEV Windows
Internels and Probert document it then sure we can implement it. I no
longer view the PDBs as a valid clean room source.

--
Steven Edwards - ReactOS and Wine developer